Sort by : Monthly – English

Taxation of Tokumei Kumiai Investment


You may have an investment in Japanese silent partnership so-called Tokumei Kumiai (TK). TK is one of the standard structure for investment in Japanese real estate or solar panels. Taxation would differ depending on whether TK investor is Japanese tax resident or non-resident. We summarize Japanese taxation when an investor has TK investment.  

Japanese tax treatment for offshore share compensation plan


If you are a Japanese tax resident working in Japan subsidiary or branch and receive shares in parent company outside Japan based on share compensation plan, you need to file individual income tax return to Japanese tax authorities. In most cases, you need to pay additional income tax for the income equivalent to the share compensation.  This may also apply to non-resident previously working in Japan during a specific period.